In working on the seo for bloggers book and dealing with blogging clients, I’ve come up with a handful of things you (or your blog software) should definitely do if you want to rank well in the search engines.
These are the absolute necessities of blog optimzation.
- Automatically send and receive trackbacks
- Automatically ping blog services when new post is made
- Maintain a blogroll
- Single-post page title tags contain the post’s title
- Permalink URLs contain the post title
- The post title is the link to the permalink page
- Post titles are wrapped in heading tags
- Create multiple paths for spiders through your archives (monthly, related posts, most popular, etc)
- Use categories and make them keyword-rich